Monday, December 25, 2006

Ho ho ho (heh)

Christmas used to be one of my favorite holidays when I was a child. Of course, growing up in the States had a lot to do with that. We always had the prettiest tree and the stuffiest... most stuffed.. erm, FULLEST stockings and the best presents ever. Mom and dad made sure to take care of that for us, and we'd celebrate Christmas not as a religious, spiritual, birth-of-Jesus-the-Christ day, but rather, a yay-we-get-toys day.

I don't know if we ever tried convincing my younger brothers that Santa was real, but I'm pretty sure that I never had the luxury of knowing the big jolly man in the red suit actually existed. Despite going to take pictures on his lap every Christmas at either Macys or JC Penny or whatever and whispering in his ear (creepy!) what we wanted that year while he got to decide whether we'd been naughty or nice (double creepy!), I knew he was fake. My parents never hid that from me.

I blame them for my cynicism.

Heh, in fact... they used to buy us presents and come home with bags and bags of goodies. We'd SEE them come back with the presents, right? Then they'd sneak into their room, gift wrap our gifts and put them under the tree with a note that read, "To BintBuNaz, from Santa."

?

Ahh, young parents.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all y'all that celebrate it. Hope you stay safe, warm and slightly drunk.

For all of you that don't celebrate, then ... erm, yay for Mondays? I guess.

N.
"The Supreme Court has ruled that they cannot have a nativity scene in Washington, D.C. This wasn't for any religious reasons, but because they couldn't find three wise men and a virgin."

8 comments:

3baid said...

Santa's not real? :'(

BintBuNaz said...

Daddy,
So you're having issues with the presents and the tree, but it's cool for me to wish all those who celebrate a "slightly drunk" Christmas?

Awesome.

3baid,
Of COURSE he's real. In his downtime, he lives in Kuwait and goes by the name Fouad Al-Hashem.

Anonymous said...

bitch

Unknown said...

Hi there,
we, Ali & Musaed, have started a Kuwaiti podcast and we are inviting you to come and listen to it ...
www.deera-chat.blogspot.com
please let us know what you think afterwards ;)

KuwaitVoice said...

كل عام وانتي بخير

White Wings said...

happy holidays dear
santa is more than a Christmas figure, don't you think?
all children around the world know him, even if they thought him fake like you did, he stands for innocence, happiness, and in some sense fairness...we all love the bog jolly man :)
ho ho ho

BintBuNaz said...

Shoppy,
Invite me, invite me!

I have no idea what the "pickle finder" is, but I really hope you tell me.

Kuwait Voice,
وانت بألف خير :)

White Wings,
Happy holidays to you as well! :)

How can you not love Baba Noel in all his cotton-faced, rosey-cheeked glory? Katkoot!

Anonymous said...

no one ever wrote you a note that said "to bintbunaz" on it.. stop lying.