Thursday, August 09, 2007

No breaking, and no real entering either

The parents have been out of town for the past week or so, and I've been home alone. It's just me, the two doggies and the maid. I spend about 29 of the 24 hours alloted to a day at work, so I'm hardly ever home. When I'm finished with work [11ish, 1130ish], I'll head home, play with the puppies a bit, have some friends over, watch a movie... the usual, until bedtime.

About 3 or 4 days ago, I was at work and it was about 11pm. I was nearly done with what I had to do and was very much looking forward to shutting down and going home. Just then my mobile rang, and the caller was 'Home.'

I picked up the phone and before I could even say 'hello,' I heard the maid's voice: "Madaaaaaaam! Please help, strange man outside. I'm scared, Madam! Help!"

I asked her what she was on about, and she said that she's standing in the living room looking out the window, and she can see a man - late 30s, scruffy, orange T-shirt and black sweatpants, probably not Kuwaiti - standing at our front door. He had opened the gate to the house and actually walked up to the front door! Thankfully, one of the dogs was outside and was blocking his way from entering the main door.

Anyway, the maid's freaking out and I'm not sure how helpful I can be, 20 minutes away and by phone. I kept pressing her to make sure it wasn't someone we know -- a friend of mine, a friend of my dad's, a neighbor, perhaps? But she was very upset and repeatedly told me that she didn't recognize the person on the other side of the door.

At this point, I had packed up my stuff and was making my way out of work and straight home. I contemplated a dozen times whether I should call the cops? A male relative? A friend? I'd never been in that situation before, and I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do. So I did nothing. Just drove home and decided I'd deal with it when I got there.

I called the maid twice on my way home, and although she was still a little panicky, she was feeling much better because apparently the guy had a change of heart and took off. (Points for puppy for scaring big, bad man off!)

When I walked into the house, the maid was sitting in the living room with our two dogs, watching The Notebook. Sweet sight... save for the gargantuan butcher knife on the living room table. Elena is nothing if not hardcore.

So anyway, nothing has happened since that night, and as much as I'd like to be freaked out by the whole situation, I'm just not. I think maybe cause I wasn't at the house when it happened -- but it's just not worrying me. I'm not stupid, though -- I now lock the front gate and the front doors as well.

Besides, I've got Super Puppies. They'll kick your ass, yo.

N.
"Home is where the house is."

6 comments:

3baid said...

Allah e7afu'6kum

Delicately Realistic said...

Hahahaha!
Madri laish a7is its someone u know.
Anyways stay safe hun bun ;* and im going to be home alone in a week or so too...sucks...once upon a time home alone was a dream come true ;/ we're getting old and turning soft u know ;/

Ri said...

Exactly how big are these "puppies" you speak of?

BintBuNaz said...

3baid,
I never know how to respond to these things.
... ayamik sa3eeda?

;P

DR,
I know, right?? This is the first trip where they leave and I'm like, "But.. hey. I.. um. Waaah, abee ahali!"

Ri,
The one that was doing all the barking is the size of an ashtray, but imagine A SCARY ASHTRAY!

ButterFlier said...

NAAAZ Ya6eeer ;p

Anonymous said...

"no breaking, and no real entering either" Lesh? Are we talking no happening, and no making it up either?! I'd say dreaming is a possibility that needs dwelling upon further. What say? :)
Don't sit so late by yourself in the office - didn't you know you are not allowed to work late after eight?