Sunday, December 10, 2006

Snippets I

The National Assembly's Legislative and Legal Committee approved a draft law today amending Article 198 of the Penal Code on dishonorable acts to fine 'public displays of homosexuality.'

I wonder how much it's gonne cost to be gay now.
- - - - -
So, I love movies, right? I love them a lot. And I consider myself to be somewhat of a film snob. But lately -- let's say the past 6 months or so -- I don't think I've seen a single film. Not a one. Why?

Because of TV shows on DVD.

Sweet mother of Christ (that would be Mary!), what an obsession that has turned out to be. I can't get enough. I'm watching so many shows and trying to keep up with so many plot lines, my head's about to explode.

Currently, I'm following:

* Lost
* Nip/Tuck (season 4)
* Heroes
* Jericho
* Prison Break
* Grey's Anatomy
* Arrested Development (I've already watched the three seasons like, 8 times, but I can't get enough of this show and I REALLY think someone needs to find a way to get it back on air, ASAP)
* Robot Chicken (yeeheehee!)
* Weeds
* Entourage
* The Nine (despite the fact that I know it's been canceled already :)
* Veronica Mars (season 3)
* Desperate Housewives (season 3)

I also work from 11am (uh.. if I'm awake in time) till approximately 9pm six days a week, and then there's the obligatory 'going out' before heading home anywhere between midnight and 2am. Which means I can really only watch my shows between the hours of 2am - 6am. Hence the sometimes not waking up for work on time.
I've totally effed my sleeping schedule -- my brain does not compute the idea of falling asleep before 5am anymore. No matter HOW tired I am, my brain continues to fight.
"But it's still early!" it nags.
"But I'm TIRED!" I think.
"I don't really give a crap," it concludes.

Stupid brain.
- - - - -
Next time I go to the ATM and my money comes out, I'm gonna start screaming, "I won! I won!"
- - - - -
So, I'm contemplating moving to London for a year. I'm having a love affair with that city and when I'm not there, I miss it like it were family. I was last there in September and even managed to meet up with a few possible employers and all I got were positive responses.

When I came back, I made a mental note that by June '07, I would be in London. Then, of course, procrastination kicked in, and now I know I'll never make that goal. But still, the idea won't erase itself from my head.

I'm thinking I'd like to be sponsored. At first I thought of asking my boss to send me on the company's account -- you know, go out there for a year, do an internship, learn a thing or two, and then come back and make Kuwait a better place. Then I remembered who I work for and started giggling manically until I depressed myself.

So now I'm thinking of setting up a Send BintBuNaz To London foundation where you can all chip in and help make my dreams come true.
- - - - -
And finally, if Tuesday Weld married Hal March III, she'd be Tuesday March 3.

N.
"That's the difference between me and the rest of the world -- happiness isn't good enough for me. I demand euphoria."

17 comments:

moe said...

I wonder what kind of excuses they'll come up with the defend homosexual public displays of affection. 'BUT HE'S MY COUSIN AND IT'S ACCEPTED IN THE FAMILY!' That'd probably work, I mean it's Kuwait and all.

Heroes, Prison Break, Lost, The Nine, Weeds and Deperate Housewives totally rule my ass. I can't even think of choosing a favorite(well, if I had to it'd be Weeds but only 'cause I not-so-secretly desire most of the cast members).

I think living in London would be really amazing. If only it wasn't filled with British people.

Anonymous said...

OMG me too!! I haven't seen a movie since the Devil Wears Prada this summer and I can't get enough of Grey's Anatomy and Prison Break! I'm back and forth (whichever download is completed first) and usually I stop at night when I start mixing up the plots :(

Anonymous said...

salam

Speaking as a Kuwaiti myself, I often wonder whether you are conscious of your shallow existence? doesn't it bother you that you saturate your already decaying mind with mindless American drama?

Why not watch some wholesome, timeless and well-crafted theatre and opera such as Wagner or Shakespeare? do you spend your nights worrying about Meg Ryan's new veneers, or who Jennifer Aniston, the whore of christendom, will date after Vince Vaughn?

I'm so sick of these pseudo-americanised kuwaiti women who are only capable of exhbiting the facade of a civilisation by wearing designer labels and eating sushi. When will you ever sustain real culture I wonder??


thank you

moe said...

Anon, I am sick of all these pseudo-intellectual Kuwaitis who think they're above us all, the kind who forget they're human and think they're God's gift to the world because their mother deludingly called them special when they were children.

Besides, who cares about Meg Ryan anymore, anyways? And if Jennifer Aniston is the whore of all christendom, then Paris Hilton's a virgin. Get some culture, please, preferably that of the Pop variety. Maybe then you'll have some friends.

BintBuNaz said...

Moe,
Did you know that Mary Louise Parker is Elizabeth Perkins on the weekends? I would bet my life on it, in fact.

I love the Brits!

Chic,
All's fair in television whoredom and war. ;)

Anonymous,
Actually, my shallowness is the very reason for my existence! Meg Ryan doesn't really do it for me anymore so much, and I wouldn't say I spend my nights worrying about it, but how funny would it be if Aniston started dating, say, George Clooney? You know, with him being Brad Pitt's frien-- eh, that's right. You don't care. :\

I appreciate your concern, Anonymous, but it's not necessary. I spend my time the way I spend my time. If it makes you a little uneasy, there's a nifty little X on the top right of my screen that will take you away from my shallow little world.

But you know what's cool about my pseudo-Americanized ways? I also believe in the freedom of speech and the right to express your opinion, so you're very much welcome here with your thoughts and concerns whenever you'd like.

PS -- Do you REALLY not eat sushi?

N.

Anonymous said...

salam


ah! the multiplying villanies of marina mall do swarm upon me!

MOE, was that your lame attempt at a rebuttal? Kindly try again when your mind recovers from watching eight straight hours of "E" the hollywood channel!

In all honesty MOE, I am very humble and trajicaly orphaned at birth, so I never knew my mother. However, I am critical that nowadays kuwaiti women are under the delusion that the aquisition of designer labels and fancy cars means the attainment of a civilisation!

Please have something interesting to say, otherwise I suggest you worry about more important things to you like David Schwimmer's eating habits.

3baid said...

"Will everything be deleted?"

If you can "switch" to beta, nothing will be deleted. If you create a new blog, you can keep this one. (If you delete this one, you don't have much to lose since it's still new.)

"What do I do? How?"

- Read how to switch to beta.
- Read why you might not be able to switch.
- Create a beta blog (using a google account) from scratch.

BintBuNaz said...

3baid,
Baaaaay... khubrik 3ateej. Done and done and done. ;)

But thanks!

BintBuNaz said...

hShoppy,
I buy my funny from soug ilyim3a. Three funnies for the price of one (if you go not on yim3a).

The Nine is on my list! But it got canceled :| Which is probably a good thing, right? Because seriously, I CAN'T TAKE IN ANY MORE TELEVISION.

I was discussing with a friend the joys of living in Kuwait, and we came to the conclusion that in the top ten of things to do here for wanasa is plopping down on the couch in the middle of the night and watching TV on DVD. I don't think that's legal anywhere else in the world.

Anonymous said...

Aaaaah....

Anonymous comments...
Gotta love those e-cowards.

Seems like "Anonymous" is a bit obsessed with the cast of "Friends", no?

And I doubt those "Marina Mallrats" actually take the time to read decent blogs.

And what's this with "Wagner & Shakespeare"?
Seriously dude.. Are you trying to prove you have an ounce of "culture"?

Ok.. Let's assume that's true...

Don't you think that a person is perfectly capable of having "deep intellect" (according to your standards) and still be interested in popular culture?

Don't you think that I am capable of playing Toccata and Fugue in D minor on piano, and still listen to Punk Rock?

Or is a "Kuwaiti woman" not capable of understanding something like:
How Post-Modernists have appropriated it to undermine science's claims of certainty, objectivity and rationality, but Gödel insisted (to the contrary) that the theorem buttresses a Platonist conception of a transcendent mathematical reality that exists independent of human logic?

And after reading up on Gödel, still watch an episode of "Family Guy"?

Just like, hmmmm, say, how you are into "well-crafted" theater, yet you still surf the net, reading "mindless pseudo-Americanised" blogs?

Please don't confuse the Image-obsessed-material-driven ignorant masses with the Literati.

I suggest you go read:
"The Claims of Culture: Equality and Diversity in the Global Era" -- by Seyla Benhabib.

Oh, and here's a dollar [$]
Go buy yourself a clue.

moe said...

Anonymous, I thought my rebuttal was good. And so did my mother. I'm sorry you don't have one. Also, why are you so obsessed with the idea of civilization? They're only built up to collapse again, darling.

BintBuNaz said...

Moonkish,
Oh, snap.

Anonymous said...

The Anonymous with Superior Intellect:

"villanies"?

"trajicaly"?

"aquisition"?

I assume you meant 'villainies' 'tragically' and 'acquisition'.

Fashla!
__________


Anyway, BintBuNaz, about that law...Our government, under the leadership of our Prime Minister, will start prosecuting homosexuals?? Hmmm..how ironic.

و اللي يفهم يفهم

Anonymous said...

Entertaining


Nothing more amply supports the assertions I made regarding Kuwaiti women than the asinine replies I was forced to read! watching those of the female persuasion ressurect their primitive herd instincts and flock in defense of each other is hilarious! My darlings, A Kuwaiti woman is nothing more than a walking collection of orifices with a complete tabula-rusa for a brain.


That is the trajedy me and my friends discuss together during our weekly wine and cheese parties in khaitan, but do not judge us since our motives are deep-rooted and any conclusion you make is only the most flattering to your pitiful feminine reasoning skills.

You only have to observe these "walking orifices," who are just begging to get their delicious pores plundered, to realise what a disguisting state this country is in. No scope, no depth, no vision! god help us all!


there is more to civilizaion than banging on piano keys, or listening to some obscure germanic half-wit author! Ahhhh what's the use..nothing will change anyway..see you at Starbucks!

BintBuNaz said...

Bu Yousif,
فاهمين, فاهمين :)

Anonymous,
Yep, okay.

Anonymous said...

...and great blog by the way...loads of fun to read :-)

!لا يوقّف :-)

Dr.Lost said...

i couldnt post before coz of the damn beta blogs.. anyways i watch:
LOST
Grey's anatomy
Prison break
entourage
weeds (only season 1)
How i met your mother--> funniest comedy (it has the dude from doogie howser)..
Desperate housewives: didnt see season 3 yet :(
24--> season 5 was amazing